Friday, April 06, 2012

Funny Fixes

It is a lot cooler today than it has been in a while.  I opted for jeans over shorts today & pulled out an pair.  These were a gift from my mom more than 5 or 6 years ago.  The zipper does not like to stay up.  I had to find a way to keep these pants and so, for a long time, I had a pony tail holder threaded through the zip loop and I would loop this around the button.  Today I tried a new trick & replaced the pony tail holder with a small key ring.  This means I can wear a shorter shirt as the pony tail holder showed a little & the key ring does not.

This sort of a fix for me is second nature.  It is normal for me to find a fix or just wear an item as is (they are clean after all) rather than toss the item.  These jeans will likely last a few more years & will bring me a smile each time I zip them.

We went to a thrift store today - one having a 50% off everything sale.  I spent $19 and change on 5 pairs of shorts for Jeremy & a pair of corduroy pants & a pair of capri pants for me.  Jer is a big guy (6' 8" and 350 lbs) so finding pants for him at thrift stores is impossible.  However, since short season is upon us, I am able to sometimes find things to fit him.   I think I did really well.  I only bought really needed items - Jer has NO shorts & I have one pr of capris - and stayed within a budget.

What thrifty thing have you done today?

1 comment:

Live and Learn said...

When I have a pair of pants with a broken zipper, I sew a piece of Velcro on top of the zipper. It works great, lasts for ever and the Velcro is not very expensive.