Friday, March 23, 2007

Dinner at the Pixie Hut

People seem to want to know what I’m eating so I thought I would share that with you here. I will try to break down the cost when I am able. Oftentimes though it will be a guess because we do get food from alternate sources like Angel Food Ministries.

Last night, we had spaghetti with homemade sauce. I made up a lot of food a few weeks before our vacation and put it in boil bags. At that time, I made the sauce with 6 cans of tomato sauce, 3 cans of tomatoes, 2 cans of olives, 1 ½ pounds of ground turkey/beef mixture, and seasonings.

Tomatoes and tomato sauce are 3/$1 at Save a Lot. Olives are 2/$1. Ground beef and g round turkey are from Angel Food Ministries and the price breaks down to about $1/pound. This means that minus spices I spent $5.50 to make a huge crockpot full of sauce. It was enough for at least 6 – 10 meals for us. Since I did not figure this as accurately as I should have, we will say that the sauce cost $0.75 for two people. A whole box of spaghetti costs less than $1 per pound. We use less than half a box or $0.50. This means that for $1.25 I fed both of us with some leftovers.

Tonight is going to be an fast food night: chicken tenders and French fries. We get a lot of nice white meat chicken tenders from Angel Food so we have “tender and fries” night every week or so. The fries are from Save a Lot (this time) and cost $1.99 for 3 pounds. This meal cost about $3 for both of us with leftover fries for my French fry loving husky. Compared to McDonalds or the like, this is a very inexpensive fast food meal.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Kali,
I've been happily using AngelFood since this January. We've been pleased -- I figure that the food would run me about $40 or more at Aldi's on an average month. Question: how do you cook the breaded chicken? The first month the chicken was battered and it had oven instructions and it was very good. This month it's breaded and didn't get as crispy in the oven. Do you fry yours?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Kali said...

Hi Elizabeth,

It is going to sound strange but I usually soak the breading off. I don't really care for it. If we leave it on, I usually put it in the convection oven.

I did the math for the prices of next month's package and the products would cost right at $42 plus tax (10% here) and with Angel Food, I get it for $25 without taxes.

Kali