Sunday, May 31, 2009

Blogging for the Cure - I'm Awake

It's 6:30 in the morning on a Sunday and I'm awake. I only do this for a good cause, for something I believe in. So here I am, blogging again. Pimping out there to let you know that Cancer is a real and is deadly. While treatment has come a long way, there are still people dying.

Remember how I said yesterday that for generations, women in Mom's family have died from Cancer? I thought I'd share with you a bit about that.

These women were the salt of the earth. They were sharecroppers wives. They were poor. I'm sure you've seen the movie Coal Miner's Daughter. Well compared to where they lived, Loretta Lynn's folks had a mansion. Anyway, these mommas would get "pregnant" and then die. One woman (my great grandma?) went out under a tree and her stomach exploded. Always the uterus area, always. These women left behind children, many times babies. They left behind husbands who in their grief would marry (or hook up) with women who were mean to the children. My grandma was raised by one such woman named Arby. Arby took pride in being as mean and as spiteful as possible to the Chapman girls but that is a story for another time.

The American Cancer Society is 92 years old. This means that Cancer has KNOWINGLY been destroying lives, separating families, and damaging children for at least that long.

Think of a cure or even a successful treatment. Wouldn't it be great to be able to see that in YOUR lifetime? Wouldn't it be awesome to know that by its 100th birthday the American Cancer Society was a bit of a relic? This is a possibility but in order to make it happen, we need YOU.



If you enjoyed my post, please feel free to donate!

Paypal
The Safe way to pay online!


Relay for Life donation page

No comments: