Sunday, May 31, 2009

Blogging for the Cure - Remembering Granny Anne

I wish I could come up with a poignant post like the beautiful just posted.

I can tell you Granny Anne. Anne was my mom's friend. Mom has a tendency to make friends that are the age her mother would have been. I think this is her way of coping. Anne came into our lives when I was in 8th grade. My mom started working at Tupperware (the factory) and Anne worked there. They became close. After a time they were on opposite shifts. Anne would routinely bring home cooked meals to the house so that I would not have to make dinner. She would show up and sweep me off to one adventure or another.

I remember once when Anne went with us to Jackson to go shopping. My mom runs in and out of stores. Anne shops! She went and looked at all of the bright and colorful stuff.

She went with me to try out for Governor's School and it made me feel better just knowing she was there.

She took me to Memphis to see Annie at Playhouse on the Square. She took me to Union University to see her granddaughter's performance. She treated me like I was one of her own.

Long time readers of my journal remember me asking people to send cards to Anne back in 2002/2003. She was in a nursing home recovering from her 3rd battle with Cancer.

The last time I was able to talk to Anne was on July 5, 2003. It was the day after her birthday. I took the girls to see her in the hospital. Granny Anne was showing off her newest grandbabies to anyone who would listen; nurses, staff, and passersby. Tegan was camera happy that day (as usual) so we got tons of pictures of Anne and the rest of us.




The next time I saw her she was on day 6 of no food or water. She was ready to go. I massaged her hands and feet with a really nice vanilla sugar lotion that I had in my bag. She and I had a talk. I explained to her that Tegan was turning 14 on Monday so that was not a good day to die. I also told her that Tegan's birthday party was scheduled for Saturday so that day wasn't good either. This was all teasing her. I guess I wanted her to know that I knew she was ready to die and that it was okay. Granny Anne was listening.

Mom and I left the nursing home in Covington and headed back home. I dropped her off and headed off to get Jack so that we could go get the girls. Just after we picked them up, my mom called and said simply "she's gone".

Even now, nearly 6 years later, I can close my eyes and see her smile. I love you, Granny Anne!


If you enjoyed my post, please feel free to donate!

Paypal
The Safe way to pay online!


Relay for Life donation page

No comments: